Sunday, March 02, 2008

Things I LOVE about home 2

One of my many jobs in college was to help track down the art for this book. You can even see me thanked in the acknowledgments if you look. Needless to say, I'm a fan of Minerva Teichert's art, and really of her life. I love the idea of a woman in desolate Cokeville , Wy (where I have been many times, and thus feel ok about calling it desolate) making beautiful, big paintings in her living room.

When I was home I finally got around to checking out this exhibit at the BYU Museum of Art. I loved it. Should you be in Utah before the end of May make sure to check it out. This is my favroite piece in the exhibit. Found the image (which doesn't do it justice) here.

Oh, and if anyone is feeling generous, I'd love a copy of this.

3 comments:

Still blonde at 1:11 said...

Wow, i don't think i've ever seen this painting by minerva before. She is my great grandma and we have a few original paintings from her that we LOVE!!! I'm seeing the new exhibit this Saturday (march 15th) and really look forward to it! Glad to see others love her work just as much!- A T

m-l-e said...

ABBIE!!! No way!!having an original of hers is my DREAM!! Enjoy the exhibit.. would love to hear your thoughts on it!!

Mary said...

Two little known facts: 1) My great great grandfather, Sylvanus Collett, was the first white settler of desolate Cokeville. Ever seen Collett Avenue?
2) Minerva Teichert bought the home my grandma's family once lived in. Special!