Friday, December 31, 2010

Ch-ch-changes! 2011


Happy 2011!

It's no secret I LOVE starting a new year with lots of resolve. Things I'm going to do this year include running a 1/2 marathon (eep, any tips for that would be helpful!), take a photography class, put my waffle iron to good use, be productive at work, and go on some awesomely big adventure.

I recently read the Happiness Project (and immediately bought copies for lots of people I love). Right before that I read Nudge, Switch, Mindless Eating, and Predictably Irrational (all of which I highly recommend). Things I've gleaned about making resolutions that work (and add to your happiness) are that:
1- little changes matter, and add up over time
2- write it down and tell people what you're up to
3- if you don't want to do it, you won't
4- you have to be able to measure it

Nothing revolutionary, but trust me, those are the magic bullets that behavioral economists, and lots of other smart people have studied.

So, for me--the first thing is to start simple. I'm working on a theme for this year that will capture what I want out of 2011. One of my favorite themes from a few years ago was "consume less, produce more". I'm going to continue checking these blogs for tips and motivation (and entertainment).

p.s. giving is a proven way to make yourself happier-- donate to two of my favorite causes here and here


*image from Francesca-- I love the idea of a year of living Ghandi's wisdom

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

love you em!